POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : One problem with photons : Re: One problem with photons Server Time
3 Aug 2024 22:16:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: One problem with photons
From: Tim Nikias v2 0
Date: 19 Sep 2003 18:42:00
Message: <3f6b8638@news.povray.org>
That's proper functioning.
What photons do is simple: transparent
objects cast shadows like any other
solid object, and the actual light passing
through is calculated with photons. So,
unless you want to stick with realism,
you should place another lightsource
whereever the photons are coming from,
but apply a "projected_through" to it,
using the glass letters as object.

Example:
#declare Letters=union{ [3 Glass Letters] }
//Place Letters
object{Letters}
//Light-Position
#declare Light_Position=<50,50,-200>;
//Lightsource for refraction
light_source{ Light_Position rgb 1
 photons{reflection on refraction on}
}
//Lightsource for shadows
light_source{ Light_Position rgb 1
 photons{reflection off refraction off}
 projected_through{Letters}
}

The code above is untested, but should convey
the idea. I'm not sure if the photons-settings
for the shadow-light are functional like this, you
might have to look that up.

Regards,
Tim

--
Tim Nikias v2.0
Email: no_lights (@) digitaltwilight.de

> I made scene with glass letters and three lights! I use photons to get
> refraction of light:and all is ok, but letters give me shadows!
> If I use shadoless in the light optins I also loose refraction of white
> light in glass letters: so any advice will be very helpfull
> Thanks

---