POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.stills : Surrealism judging? : Re: Surrealism judging? Server Time
5 May 2024 20:01:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Surrealism judging?
From: Jim Charter
Date: 18 Sep 2003 21:32:10
Message: <3f6a5c9a$1@news.povray.org>
I think that ultimately people entering a public contest such as this
have to be responsible for their own feelings and expectations.  Also of
course, if you treat people insensitively, your going to be seen as
insensitive and your remarks will be correspondingly devalued.

When voting I have come to accept that there is going to be a fairly
undifferentiated group of work in the middle with some extreme examples
both high and low.  The three voting categories offer a little more
chance to differentiate, eg. though you still end up in the middle,
maybe a lot of people favored your concept.  Personally I have
streamlined the voting for myself by assigning scores in steps of four.
4, 8, 12, 16, 20.  I find it helps me make clearer decisions.  I've
concluded that trying to decide whether a work merits a score of '10' or
'11' out of a range of 20, and relative to a group of 100 other entries,
is just more detail than I can manage.

-Jim