POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.stills : Surrealism judging? : Re: Surrealism judging? Server Time
5 May 2024 16:56:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Surrealism judging?
From: St
Date: 18 Sep 2003 15:59:55
Message: <3f6a0ebb@news.povray.org>

> |     Well, the amount 'is' a lot. I don't think that
> | bothered me so much, but sometimes when I look at an
> | image, I just don't know *what* to say about it - like
> | I said above, I'm not qualified enough to comment on
> | most of them. But I'm working on it.  ;)
>
> I feel like I need to treat each image as if the person worked very
hard
> on and put a lot of thought and feeling into it.

     Yes, and this could be my problem with commenting. I feel that I
don't want to disappoint them after the effort they've put in if I
don't like it, or something about it. I dunno, perhaps I should start
doing press-ups and grunt a little...

This becomes difficult
> when I know that 2/3 of the images weren't really meant to be more
than
> a chance for the person to learn the software or try out some
particular
> technique.

   I read all the text if I'm in the competition. I'm amazed at what
people use, and I quite often try to imagine me using their techniques
and programs.

   'What' would I do? Phew! I'll find out one day, I'm sure...  ;)

> I wonder how it would go over if the entries were split into two
> separate categories (selectable by each entrant), competitive
entries
> and display entries. All entries could be commented on, but only
those
> in the competitive group would be voted upon. I am very proud of the
two
> IRTC entries which I have sent in, but neither was meant to be
> competitive, and I feel that whatever time people spent voting on
them
> was pretty much wasted. I do enjoy seeing if anyone got anything out
of
> them, however, so I would have entered them as display entries.

    Now, you could have it solved here Shay. I mentioned in another
post that maybe there should be a cut-off time/date for commenting,
voting. Maybe a change 'is' needed? I don't know, if so, then it could
*only* be a change for the better, and if not, I don't mind the rules
as they are, they work well for me.

   ~Steve~