POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Help: Place objects within a circle : Re: Place objects within a circle Server Time
4 Aug 2024 00:28:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Place objects within a circle
From: Slime
Date: 12 Sep 2003 18:54:43
Message: <3f624eb3$1@news.povray.org>
> I'm trying real hard to figure out how you came about the idea of using
> sqrt(), so I'll take my pen and paper and work some examples to understand
> why this should work.

I remember why now. The circumference of the circle which passes through a
point x on the X-axis is, of course, 2*pi*x^2 (two pi r squared). Since,
according to this function, the radii of the circles grows at a squared rate
as x gets bigger, you need to take the square root of x to get even
randomness. This spreads out the random points in the correct manner.

Before you try to understand that, though, make sure you understand what the
problem is in the first place with *not* taking the square root.

 - Slime
 [ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]