POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Sky backgrounds : Re: Sky backgrounds Server Time
4 Aug 2024 00:28:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Sky backgrounds
From: Tom A
Date: 12 Sep 2003 10:43:32
Message: <3f61db94$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
> Gilles Tran <tra### [at] inapginrafr> wrote:
>
>>Actually these sky images are fully spherical, the website just doesn't show
>>the bottom half(pure black of course) in the previews...
>

>   I see. In that case it's enough to do:
>
> sky_sphere
> { pigment { image_map { jpeg "whatever" map_type 1 } }
> }

Yes, the recent website got me thinking, and creating an image to put on
the background was just what I needed.  My camera to create the image
was this:

camera {
   spherical
   location <0,0,0>      // position
   look_at  <0,0,1>      // view
   angle 360             // horizontal degrees
         180             // vertical degrees
}

And the sky sphere to use the output is this:

sky_sphere {
   pigment {
     image_map{ tga "starynight.tga"    map_type 1   }
                 rotate x*-100
   }
}

(The rotate was needed so that the moon on the sky image was where I
wanted it.)

It was perfect for putting a moon in the sky in my animation, so it
would always be the same angle, no matter where I placed the camera.

Tom A.