POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : "scale" usagage observation : Re: "scale" usagage observation Server Time
4 Aug 2024 00:27:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: "scale" usagage observation
From: Rune
Date: 11 Sep 2003 12:32:47
Message: <3f60a3af@news.povray.org>
Marc Champagne wrote:
> Would it not be wise for the scale statement
> to assume 1 instead of 0 for those vectors
> that are not specified.

The following may sound like nitpicking, but I think it's worth
mentioning.

When you scale by x*2 then you are not just specifying the x-scaling,
you are also specifying the y-scaling and z-scaling. These you have set
to 0.

This is not because 0 is any kind of default. It is simply because the
meaning of the build-in variable "x" is exactly <1,0,0>. That is, "x" is
a full vector in itself, not some kind of float that only applies to the
x value. So when you are specifying scale x*2 then it is exactly the
same as specifying scale <1,0,0>*2 and this is a full vector definition,
without any defaults being assumed.

I still think it's a good idea that POV-Ray corrects the incorrect
scaling specifications, but the warning definitely should be there.

My main point I guess, is to make clear that no default are being
assumed, since there are no vectors that are "not being specified", and
thus it doesn't make sense to request that the defaults should be
different.

Rune
rune|vision:  http://runevision.com **updated Jul 25**