POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : zero normal reported in mesh2 instead of mesh : zero normal reported in mesh2 instead of mesh Server Time
4 Aug 2024 00:23:11 EDT (-0400)
  zero normal reported in mesh2 instead of mesh
From: Thomas Willhalm
Date: 9 Sep 2003 05:18:41
Message: <3f5d9af0@news.povray.org>
Hello,

if you render a scene with a mesh that contains a smooth_triangle with a
normal that is zero, povray issues a warning about a "mesh2" instead of a
"mesh". The following szene illustrates this:

mesh { smooth_triangle { x,0, y,y, z,z } }

Povray 3.5c for Linux writes:

 Parsing...File: szenen/thw/meshbug.pov  Line: 1
 Warning: Normal vector in mesh2 cannot be zero - changing it to <1,0,0>.

I have not verified this bug on other platforms, but by its nature it's
probably system independent.

If you look in parse.cpp, function Parse_Mesh, CASE(SMOOTH_TRIANGLE_TOKEN),
you find indeed messages about a mesh2 (although a mesh2 is parsed by
Parse_Mesh2).

I admit that this is only a cosmetic bug, but I assume that you also want to
know and fix those.

Thank you for your work on Povray
Thomas

--