POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : field render : Re: field render Server Time
4 Aug 2024 00:26:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: field render
From: Hughes, B
Date: 5 Sep 2003 04:23:41
Message: <3f58480d@news.povray.org>
news:3f583ffe@news.povray.org...

> No, of course it will not have twice as many frames.  There will be as
many
> output images as you specified.  Thus, if you want to create a one second
> animation with 25 full frames, you want 50 images of 50 half frames.
> Consequently, you ask POV-Ray to render 50 images and turn the field
render
> option on.  If you don't mess with anyhing else, you get what you need.

Alas... if I had waited a mere few minutes I might have noticed your answer
before I replied to him as well.

This doubling of frames is what I wasn't understanding from the
documentation. In rendering a little test and viewing non-interlaced, i.e.
regular mpeg, I came to the conclusion there wouldn't need to be twice as
many frames to look just like animation without field rendering. Or rather
that television might interlace in a frame by frame stepping which doesn't
actually merge the pairs into a single frame again. That is, except by
persistence of vision effect.

To clarify further, I guess I need to understand that the even/odd frames
are combined during television conversion, and so need a double rate to
equal uncombined frames? Only wondering out of curiosity in my case, not out
of necessity like Rafal.  :-)  I just didn't think the process merged
frames. Seems impossible to locate information about this being
demonstrated.

Bob H.