POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : field render : Re: field render Server Time
4 Aug 2024 00:29:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: field render
From: Hughes, B
Date: 5 Sep 2003 04:06:21
Message: <3f5843fd@news.povray.org>
"Rafal 'Raf256' Maj" <spa### [at] raf256com> wrote in message
news:Xns### [at] 204213191226...

> I have animation that should last A seconds and have 25 fps.
> Now I got a notice from customer that animation must be outputed in field
> render.
>
> Should I only add to .ini
>   field_render = on
> or should I i.e. multipy by *2 final_clock and/or frame ?
>
> What about subset start/end frame ?
>
> Will resulting set of images have 2 times more files?

Noticed no one seems to be replying yet, you might want to also ask this in
the povray.animations group just so any discussion of it could benefit
others too.

This is one of those features I hardly looked at before, and that was
probably eight years ago when I did. Not to actually use it for television,
only to see how it worked. Going back to the Scene Help and checking on it
with actual animation rendering I'd say it needs no extra frames from a
normal animation. I believe the documentation tries to explain that "twice"
the frame rate would only be useful if you could get away with slower
motions of your animated objects or have a end result with higher frame
rate. Consider, for example, a bouncing ball with a speed looking physically
correct if animated without field rendering and another one which looks sped
up with field rendering on plus double the frames but kept to the same
timing, both with the same settings besides. Wouldn't look right.

Short answer: I can only assume there's no frame rate difference between TV
and non-TV rendering. Only that it would need to match television frame
rate. Someone with actual experience would need to give you a real answer.
Other than that, I think the idea of doubling frame number for field
rendering is something which might require a FPS increase which TV wouldn't
allow for. My belief is the interlaced frames are meant to be shown
alternatingly and thus at the same rate as a non-TV animation.

Sure hope you find the actual solution and then we'll both know.  :-)

Bob H.