POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : newbie: things looking very coarse : Re: newbie: things looking very coarse Server Time
30 Jul 2024 20:32:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: newbie: things looking very coarse
From: Folkert van Heusden
Date: 4 Sep 2003 15:14:44
Message: <3f578f23@news.povray.org>
>> I'm pretty much new to povray and I'm trying to render my appartment.
>> Got the outside walls now and find a good viewing point aswell as lights.
>> There's a problem, though: front and backwall are solid colored, but when
>> you look at the floor, ceiling, left and right wall, everything looks
>> rather, ehr, coarse(?).
> You could be a bit more precise...what exactly looks "coarse"? Are you
> getting jagged edges? Or a grainy appearance on flat-colored areas? Odd
> color shading?

Yes, a grainy appearance! That's what I mean, *I think* :-) (not a native
english speaker as you've probably guessed by now).
I've put an example online at:
http://keetweej.vanheusden.com/~folkert/scene.png

> If it's jagged edges, try using higher quality antialiasing settings. A
> grainy appearance could be caused by many things...jitter in area
> lights, antialiasing, method 1 media, crand, or just certain textures.
> Odd artifacts in what should be a smooth color blend...well, that's most
> likely just a result of the limited precision of computer displays. In
> 24 bit mode, they will be invisible most of the time, in 16 bit mode
> they can be very visible and distracting.

Yes, but its not like "if you look closely you see some weird pixels", it's
more like the whole picture is strange.

Folkert van Heusden

| UNIX sysop? Then give MultiTail ( http://www.vanheusden.com/multitail/ ) |
| a try, it brings monitoring logfiles (and such) to a different level!    |