POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : media interaction problem : media interaction problem Server Time
4 Aug 2024 00:23:14 EDT (-0400)
  media interaction problem
From: Slime
Date: 30 Aug 2003 22:16:15
Message: <3f515a6f$1@news.povray.org>
I have some clouds in my scene (scattering media). They're lit by a single
"sun" light source.

For a separate lighting effect, I have some large area_lights in the scene.
They have media_interaction off because I don't want them to make the clouds
brighter - I only want them to light up the solid surfaces in the scene.
This is easy enough.

Unfortunately, despite the "media_interaction off," the clouds are still
casting a shadow from the area_lights. I don't really mind the shadow so
much, but what I *do* mind is that the varying shadow is causing the
adaptive area_light sampling to be useless, making my scene extremely slow
to render.

Does anyone know of a way that I can force the area_lights to ignore the
media when shadows are being calculated?

Thanks for your help. Let me know if I need to describe the problem better.

 - Slime
 [ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]