POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Editor problem in WinXP? : Re: Editor problem in WinXP? Server Time
28 Jun 2024 23:26:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Editor problem in WinXP?
From: Hughes, B
Date: 28 Aug 2003 18:56:41
Message: <3f4e88a9@news.povray.org>
"Coby" <cob### [at] tubafrogcom> wrote in message
> I am having a problem when using the editor where everything locks up for
> few seconds in the middle of an editing operation like typing a few
> characters or pasting something. This happens about every 10 seconds or
so.
> Nothing too consistent though, seems to depend on how much I am typing or
> how quickly I am trying to paste, delete, etc.

Is Render Priority at Normal? You only mentioned GUI Priority being Highest.

I use POV-Ray 3.5 on XP HE too, the only times I had that kind of thing
happen was when a touchpad driver (notebook computer) was set in such a way
that it wouldn't allow typing to regain focus quickly after some mouse
pointer actions, or vice versa. Also if Render Priority is Higher or
Highest.

You could take a look at your XP program priorities by pressing
Ctrl+Alt+Delete then going to the Processes section and right-clicking on
POV-Ray there. I strongly suggest never to use Real Time, only Above Normal
unless you like struggling to get focus elsewhere after doing so.

Another thing, if you haven't heard of the typical suspect of cause for
slowdowns, is the Indexing Service which keeps track of file data for
quicker access (but might slow program usage? Not sure). To get to it you
can right-click on My Computer, select Manage, then under the Services and
Applications part select Indexing Service. If small toolbar player-control
buttons appear under the menu you can click the square to stop it from
running.
Or, to delve deeper into that kind of thing and prevent it from automatic
startup you can select the Services item and make changes (by
double-clicking on item) from the list shown in the right window pane.

This is all a guess, of course, it could be video driver-related too, I
suppose. Any combination of things, such as antivirus checking during file
changes, etc. At least it doesn't sound like you have AutoSave on in POV
since that should be a minimum of 1 minute per save.

Bob H.