POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : True Antialiasing : Re: True Antialiasing Server Time
4 Aug 2024 06:12:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: True Antialiasing
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 27 Aug 2003 15:34:27
Message: <3f4d07c3@news.povray.org>
In article <web.3f4cd0ad8f004971d63a77300@news.povray.org> ,
"gramirosimancas" <nomail@nomail> wrote:

>>It is called a _ray_ tracer, isn't it?
>
> Of course, but if pyramid tracing is possible as an option it would get true
> antialiasing.

There is no "true antialiasing".  The definition of anti-aliasing is exactly
that, any method that works against the aliasing effect of a pixel based
image.  Thus, any method that removes this effect is called anti-aliasing.

Actually, I don't think you will get any improvement using pyramid tracing.
To the contrary, you only end up with extremely difficult intersection
algorithms and still have to use some kind of averaging over the surfaces
you find as they have textures.  You only get a whole lot of really
difficult to solve problems using anything but rays, hence all other
approaches have more or less been abandoned for image generation - they
simply offer no benefit whatsoever as far as realism or quality of an image
is concerned.

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde