POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Units of Measure : Re: Units of Measure Server Time
4 Aug 2024 06:13:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Units of Measure
From: Alan Smith
Date: 26 Aug 2003 19:19:25
Message: <3f4beafd@news.povray.org>
Patrick,

The issue of precision had occurred to me but I thought it too much to
mention and complicate any discussions, but I'm sure that you're right in
that it could be dealt with using some mechanism especially considering that
most copying of objects between scenes would be done at typically the same
rough order of magnitude of scale.    I just didn't want to add that level
of complexity.

Also I might mention (at great risk!) that if this was incorporated, then it
might also be conceivable that textures could be designed either unitised or
have a "designed for" type setting that would allow the (optional) automatic
scaling of textures such as wood to the target scene, or auto scale to the
target "'base' 1 unit scale" possibility you mentioned.   Again, I've not
mentioned this previously, as this would raise complexity when all I want is
to be able to cut and paste a desk and chair and all its associated items
from one scene to another regardless of scale, metrification or
 "imperialism" and lazily not have to re-scale.