POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.stills : Mystery...The enigma of plumbing : Re: Mystery...The enigma of plumbing Server Time
2 May 2024 10:48:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mystery...The enigma of plumbing
From: Shay
Date: 25 Aug 2003 09:17:47
Message: <3f4a0c7b@news.povray.org>
"Glenn McCarter" <gmc### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message

| As Jim suspected, the ground is indeed an attempt
| to create a 'neutral' element.  I prefer complex
| scenes with both tension and harmony.  I exploit
| geometry, lighting, textures, whatever is necessary
| to accomplish this balance.  "Plumbing" is one of the
| most mechanically complex scenes I've ever created,
| so balancing this with neutral areas was
| essential to me.

I think that the map you used for the ground failed you. It looks out of
place next to the other textures and IMO is far from neutral because of
it. Outstanding picture, however.

Another idea besides something literally neutral like graph paper is to
use some element which is so overly familiar that it has become
invisible to people. Something like Gilles Tran's grass macro which
seems to be an element in every third IRTC entry. Just a randomish
thought...

 -Shay