POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Unicode ; PAL Animation : Re: Unicode ; PAL Animation Server Time
4 Aug 2024 02:15:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Unicode ; PAL Animation
From: sascha
Date: 25 Aug 2003 03:36:11
Message: <3f49bc6b@news.povray.org>
Rafal 'Raf256' Maj wrote:

> 2) I have image that looks good rendered at 320x240
> What .ini width/height schould I choose, and what aspect_ratio for camera
> to render same animation for PAL standard (TV) ? I want i.e. sphere { 0 1 }
> to look on TV like a circle, not elipse.

Don't confuse aspect-ratio with pixel aspect ratio. Your TV has an AR of
4:3 or maybe 16:9, but if you like to create a DVD or an VCD/SVCD the
pixels (which are normally square on a computer monitor) are not square
anymore. AFAIK a PAL DVD uses a resolution of 720x576 and a PAL VCD
352x288 pixel, no matter what the screen aspect ratio is (4:3, 16:9 or
even 2.25:1 widescreen). When using POV-Ray you could set the resolution
to 352x288 (1.222:1) BUT set the aspect ratio (right and up in the
camera statement) to 4:3 (1.333:1) - the resulting images will look
distorted on your monitor, but when encoding to MPEG (tell your codec
that the aspect ratio should be 4:3!) it should look ok when viewed as VCD.

Some software MPEG players don't support pixel-aspect rations other than 1:1