POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Unicode ; PAL Animation : Re: Unicode ; PAL Animation Server Time
4 Aug 2024 02:22:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Unicode ; PAL Animation
From: Hugo Asm
Date: 25 Aug 2003 03:00:30
Message: <3f49b40e@news.povray.org>
> What .ini width/height schould I choose, and what aspect_ratio for camera
> to render same animation for PAL standard (TV) ? I want i.e. sphere { 0
1 }
> to look on TV like a circle, not elipse.

Well, on todays computers with TV-out it's somewhat confusing because many
times, there is an automatic compensation for aspect ratio, so 320*240 will
look correct. But if we're talking about "standards" it's not correct. If
you divide 320 with 240, the result is 1.3333333... But on TV you should aim
for 1.2222222.. This means resolutions such as: 704*576  or  352*288. This
assumes you want "full frame" the so called 4:3 aspect ratio.. Widescreen or
movie format is another story.

I admit that even though I've studied this thing somewhat, I'm confused
myself because there is also alternative "standard" resolutions to the above
mentioned, such as 384*288 which equals a 1.3333333 ratio.. The problem is,
with TV-out it's almost always going to look right, because the image is
just cropped automatically to fit the screen. But this is my graphicscard
(Matrox Marvel G450).

Regards,
Hugo