POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Writing binary files with POV script : Re: Writing binary files with POV script Server Time
4 Aug 2024 02:19:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Writing binary files with POV script
From: nospam
Date: 24 Aug 2003 19:20:41
Message: <3f493f8c.4383761@localhost>
On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 10:35:17 +0200, "JC (Exether)" <no### [at] spamfr> wrote:

>I would like to generate a df3 file directly from a pov script,
>generating it from pigments, a bit like Gilles' makecloud macro. But I
>had a look at the documentation, and it seems that you can only output
>text to a file.

For years I've been wishing that binary file read/write commands
would be added to povray (I once has a pov-script that was
rendering audio data to a text file.  I ended up writing it as
something like a uuencoded file and then having a separate
program to in turn convert that text file to the wave file).

However, it might is best that vinary I/O not be added.
Consider the ability to have a pov-script that in turn writes
a (binary) .exe file containing a virus?  Or what is to stop
povray from overwriting the system password file, or
command.com?