POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : why the hexgrid constants? : Re: why the hexgrid constants? Server Time
4 Aug 2024 02:16:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: why the hexgrid constants?
From: Brendan Ryan
Date: 23 Aug 2003 02:24:33
Message: <3f4708a1@news.povray.org>
Apache wrote:
> 7.4.5 Focal blur hexgrid constants
> Hex_Blur1 = 7
> Hex_Blur2 = 19
> Hex_Blur3 = 37
>
> I have two questions about this:
> 1. What are they used for?
> 2. I'd like to know how I might calculate Hex_blur4, Hex_blur5 etc etc
> 3. When using focal blur, does blur_samples 8 look worse blur_samples 7?

I don't know what they are, but I used my TI-86 to find that the points
(1,7), (2,19) and (3,37) fit on the curve y = 3x^2 + 3x + 1 where x
would be the x in Hex_Blurx and y would be the constants.
According to the above equation, Hex_Blur4 would be 61, Hex_Blur5 would
be 91 and Hex_Blur6 would be 127.
I used the quadratic fit because it gave 7, 19 and 37 extactly.  The
other fits like linear and logrithimic gave correlations of .99 or .97.

Brendan