POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV and hyperthreading : Re: POV and hyperthreading Server Time
4 Aug 2024 02:16:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV and hyperthreading
From: Anto Matkovic
Date: 14 Aug 2003 16:39:36
Message: <3f3bf388@news.povray.org>
> AFAIK problem with radiosity rendered in parts in 3.5 is the same like in
POV
> before 3.5. I would rather say that thanks to better processors we can use
> better radiosity settings so artefacts are less visible. Can be this your
> case?

This was with some entries for IRTC with POV 3.0 (1997, 98..). I stopped
render with
radiosity, closed
POV, and tried to continue render. New rendering part was a bit lighter or
darker than old part. No problem to fix this in bitmap
program, bur IRTC rule was: you can only convert image or  ajust gamma or
brightness-contrast. So, Pentium 2 from these days had to work continiously
for days or
weeks.

Similar problem can be with some commercial raytracers, if they calculate
radiance map per bucket. You can see different radiosity from quad to quad
of the render view.

As I can see,  POV-Ray 35 haven't this problem, because of writting '.rca'
files to HDD (I suppose this is a radiance map file, can't find anything
about in
docs for now), so it possible to rerun radiosity render.

How this work with simultaneuosly rendered parts, I don't know  for now.

Anto