POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Help Creating parabolic mirrors : Re: Help Creating parabolic mirrors Server Time
4 Aug 2024 08:19:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Help Creating parabolic mirrors
From: sascha
Date: 11 Aug 2003 03:37:23
Message: <3f3747b3$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
 > POV-Ray can make perfectly parabolic mirrors and reflect light from
 > them. It's far from impossible.

Well, I think it's *nearly* impossible to simulate optical instruments
like telescopes with POV-Ray. Of course you could place the camera at
the focal-point of the lens or mirror and get the magnification effect,
but you can't simulate other effects.

For example, I once tried to simulate how saturn would look if being
viewed through a telescope with different mirror-diameters (the larger
the mirror, the sharper the picture) - but it didn't work. If anybody
has ever managed to simulate such things with POV-Ray I'd be interested...