POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Dusty media shadows? : Re: Dusty media shadows? Server Time
4 Aug 2024 02:19:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Dusty media shadows?
From: Hughes, B
Date: 8 Aug 2003 22:16:18
Message: <3f345972@news.povray.org>
"Hugo Asm" <hua### [at] post3teledk> wrote in message
> How can I clarify the shadows that occur in scattering media after it hits
> an object? In my scene these "dusty shadows" are nearly invisible! I'd
like
> to have rather sharp lines with good contrast to appear immediately after
> the rays hit an object. Is that possible?  I really feel like I've tried
it
> all.

Maybe you haven't tried it all yet if 'extinction' hasn't been applied. Goes
in the scattering statement, and a low float value following it. This can
artificially enhance light's absorption transmission ratio, so the idea here
is to decrease that absorption and increase the transmission (well, this is
my interpretation). Closer to zero will brighten it up quite a bit in the
lit portions, hopefully leaving the shadows darker with more contrast
altogether. What might prove a problem still is that the whole media area
between the shadows and camera will also brighten, effectively fogging the
shadows again. The real answer might be to limit the media container to a
short distance toward the camera, leaving mostly empty space there. Possibly
a combination of the two things.

Bob H.