POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.stills : Mystery...Puzzled : Re: Mystery...Puzzled Server Time
4 May 2024 06:29:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mystery...Puzzled
From: Jim Charter
Date: 4 Aug 2003 21:21:19
Message: <3f2f068f@news.povray.org>
Shay wrote:
> I like this picture. James Moore obscured the dead face of the poser
> character, which helped a lot.

Yes I agree here.  I also thought that the texture of the hands worked
well, within limits, and somehow in contrast with the scattering that
seems to extend the nebula.

  I think that the effect would be more
> powerful if the puzzle were much larger and if the creator had many more
> tools. He doesn't look very challenged to me at all.

Yeah I agree, he really seems in control of his 'universe'

  The dice are
> *great*! Their inclusion made this picture for me.

Hmmm, I saw them more in the way I saw the nebula, as an attempt to
cover all bases rather than playing into the metaphor directly.

So what is the metaphor anyway?  A mirror that is a puzzle.
(It took me awhile to notice that the picture in the puzzle is a
reflection not a recursion.)  A puzzle representing a process, a process
of inquiry...into the universe and its mysteries?  Or a process of
construction?...of a mystery? of self?