POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : CSG shape with many 'holes' takes *forever* to render! : Re: CSG shape with many 'holes' takes *forever* to render! Server Time
30 Jul 2024 22:16:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: CSG shape with many 'holes' takes *forever* to render!
From: Tim Nikias v2 0
Date: 31 Jul 2003 06:17:59
Message: <3f28ecd7@news.povray.org>
Even if you slice your cylinder into pieces,
POV-Ray will only have to check that piece
in a certain area of the image. So, instead
of one long cylinder, do several shorter
ones. I'm not sure if slicing it like a cake
would do any additional good. But the smaller
the object is that POV-Ray has to test,
the less time it will spend sorting through all
difference/intersection tests that were made
on the entire object.

That's the whole point of the idea of using
several objects instead of one large object
with tons of CSG.

Regards,
Tim

--
Tim Nikias v2.0

> >If you ever try to construct an object that has a lot of holes in
> >POVRay, you'll find that it renders incredibly slowly. My Holes Tutorial
> >attempts to explain why this happens and suggests something that you
> >might be able to do about it.
>
> Ooh, thanks... but (since I hit google for a day or two before asking in
> here ;) I'd already read that page and I don't think it'd help me much in
> this particular case unfortunately.
>
> The example you give works fine for boxes with holes in, as they can be
> bounded, but for a cylinder the only bounding that can be done is across
> the whole shape IIRC.
>
> Since I know that using CSG to cut holes is slow I was trying to find a
way
> to 'cheat' instead and to get the same effect but using a texture, if it's
> possible (which it must be, *anything* is possible in POV one way or
> another ;)
>
> The only way I found out was to use an image with the 'hole' drawn in the
> alpha channel and then repeatedly map that where I want it, but I want the
> ability to alter the shape of the holes without having to have loads of
> jpegs pre-drawn :(
>
> Fuzzy

---