POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Image map filenames with extended ASCII characters (PoseRay development) : Re: Image map filenames with extendedASCIIcharacters(PoseRaydevelopment) Server Time
4 Aug 2024 10:16:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Image map filenames with extendedASCIIcharacters(PoseRaydevelopment)
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 27 Jul 2003 17:19:53
Message: <3f2441f9$1@news.povray.org>
In article <MPG.198dcefec22b76a9989846@news.povray.org> , Patrick Elliott
<sha### [at] hotmailcom>  wrote:

> I however have trouble imagining any modern systems actually suffering
> from this issue so severely that the result is not a mere flipping around
> or replacement of a few letters that would give the file a funny looking
> name. But, you say it is a problem, so I'll shut up now. :(

No, you still got it all upside down.  Probably I didn't make clear enough
that there is a huge different between what you as a user see and what a
program will "see" (not really, but I can't explain it better without going
into endless details).  So POV-Ray cannot *access* files with non-ASCII
names in a portable manner.  It has absolutely nothing to do with you giving
files names with non-ASCII characters.  It has nothing to do with one
particular operating system.  It has to do with how to universally access
files.

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde