POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Installing POV Ray on RH Linux 9 : Re: Installing POV Ray on RH Linux 9 Server Time
6 Oct 2024 12:04:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Installing POV Ray on RH Linux 9
From: Roz
Date: 25 Jul 2003 22:47:21
Message: <3f21ebb9@news.povray.org>
Unwashed wrote:
> Well, I have libpng on my machine.  I went to the extent that I have changed
> distributions from RH 9 to Mandrake 9.1  I know that there is a command or
> two that I'm missing and I will kick myself for not getting it the first
> time, but for the life of me I can't decipher it.  I even went to the
> extent of re- reading about installing tarballs on TLDP, but I can't get
> ../configure ./install or make to work.  Really frustrating.

I'm a little confused by your description in this thread of the steps
you've taken to install POV-Ray. I am getting the impression that you've
downloaded the binary version but you're trying to follow the source
code version's installation instructions.

Where did you download the POV-Ray program?

If you downloaded it from the POV-Ray official site, what's the name
of the tar archive you downloaded? Is it povlinux.tgz (the binary
version) or povuni_s.tgz (the source code version)?

If you downloaded the povlinux.tgz binary version, untarred it
and ran the ./install script then you've already successfully installed
POV-Ray. There is no ./configure make stuff you can do with it. Try
running "povray" from the command line and see if you have it
successfully installed.

If you downloaded the povuni_s.tgz source code version then
when you untar it you will have to do the ./configure, make, install
dance to get it installed. There's a file called INSTALL that
provides instructions on how to do this.

If none of the above helps you then please provide some details
about where you downloaded the file from, what steps you took to
try to install POV-Ray and what sort of error messages you are
getting (if any).

-Roz