POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Deployment of POV-Ray on Windows 2000 in a school : Re: Deployment of POV-Ray on Windows 2000 in a school Server Time
28 Sep 2024 18:10:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Deployment of POV-Ray on Windows 2000 in a school
From: Theo Gottwald *
Date: 25 Jul 2003 12:46:00
Message: <3f215ec8@news.povray.org>
Hi Soeren,

Wasn't meant as critics, was meant as a general statement, comparing
diffrent methods of installations.

See
http://groups.google.de/groups?q=MSI+repackaging+support&hl=de&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&selm=OIEdkOREAHA.60%40cppssbbsa04&rnum=2

I am quite shure, in your special case what you did is what was the best.
Especially as you solved your problem.

> I'd like to know what Network Rendering has to do with automatically
deploying an application over a network ...

I can tell that to you :-). Before you can render in a network you need to
install POV-Ray on each of those machines. And why do that "manually" if its
sooo easy done automatically? However you may still need a way to bring
those files on all the PC's.

>, btw. What you're probably doing is just letting the Wise Installer run in
silent mode.
To be honest I did never even know that this would work. maybe I don't
needed that ever.

Going away from POV-Ray, my statement was more general saying "How can
anyone be shure that a "repacked file " Will work under all circumstances?"
(see Link at top).

Thats not a question "How good" you can use all those repackaging-tools, the
question is just "How good can you know what needs to be done while the
installation". I saw those problems Chris told you about and thought the
article I read in the newsgroup.

It wasn't personal but I am just working with these installation things, so
I saw a chance to produce myself a bit :-))).

By the way ...  http://www.it-berater.org/download/down.pl?file=31  (Hope
you have XP Prof. somewhere :-).
Try this one and tell me :-) which installer we used in silent mode.

have fun
--Theo

Distributed Network-Rendering or Local SMP-Rendering. With SMPOV and
POV-Ray 3.5. * Download free at: http://www.it-berater.org/smpov.htm