POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Povray Documentation Error? : Re: Povray Documentation Error? I'll say yes. Server Time
30 Jul 2024 22:15:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Povray Documentation Error? I'll say yes.
From: Hughes, B
Date: 25 Jul 2003 09:44:59
Message: <3f21345b@news.povray.org>
news:3f1ec7ae@news.povray.org...
> Peter Ketting <pet### [at] notmyrealboxcom> wrote:
> > I was reading through the Documentation, when I came upon the section
> > "clipped_by", which has an illustration along with it. According to the
> > documentation, clipped_by will clip off any part of the first object
that is
> > not inside the second object. However, looking at the illustration that
goes
> > with it, it seems that whatever is inside the second object will be
clipped
> > off.
>
>   clipped_by works like intersection, except that the clipping object
> will not leave any surface.
>   I think that would be a compact way of saying it in the documentation
> as well.
>
>   If the image shows anything else, then the image is wrong.

It is... although, oddly enough, it indicates what I would expect to see.
But then I'm always confusing this sort of CSG in practice.

bounded_by and clipped_by are fairly interchangeable in how they operate,
IIRC, which is why they can use shortcuts applied to each other. As is
known, bounded_by retains the inner regions from the object being used for
the bounding, therefore clipped_by will do the same.

The graphic in question is apparently in section 6.5.9.1 Clipped_By (note
that the capitalization of these letters should probably be changed so as
not to confuse people, and which I believe happens throughout the
documentation but not sure if this escaped usual convention for sake of
subject titling).

Object A could be shown as a dotted line, perhaps, and only the remaining
clipped portion within object B as a solid line. Right now it shows it as
dashed same as the clipping object. Amazing how this went overlooked before,
guess I tend to scan over such things so quickly that I fail to notice.

Bob H.