POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Halo effect through clouds : Re: Halo effect through clouds Server Time
30 Jul 2024 22:21:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Halo effect through clouds
From: gonzo
Date: 25 Jul 2003 02:19:17
Message: <3f20cbe5@news.povray.org>
Penners <pen### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message
> Hi,
>   Does anyone know how to achieve this "halo" effect of a star being seen
> behind a cloud and, I assume because of scattering, there is a bright ring
> around the star?  I have made the cloud a media object with scattering,
but
> I can't seem to get a nice "halo" around the star/light source.
>
> Thanks for any suggestions.

I think you can do that using a hollow sphere filled with scattering media
using a spherical color map with the middle transparent so color only  shows
around the outside.

This isn't the same thing;
http://www.irtc.org/ftp/pub/stills/2003-06-30/lites_rg.jpg,
but while I was experimenting with the media for it I got something like
what you want.  The code is here;
http://www.irtc.org/ftp/pub/stills/2003-06-30/lites_rg.zip

Look at the color map I used and play with it. You can either put it around
the star, or between the star and the clouds.  Play with the placement, but
I think it should work.

RG