POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Installation problem : Re: Installation problem Server Time
1 Jul 2024 01:35:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Installation problem
From: Chris Cason
Date: 21 Jul 2003 17:33:57
Message: <3f1c5c45@news.povray.org>
I'm late also ...

"Eugene Lazutkin" <eug### [at] usanet> wrote in message
> Problem solved in rather unconventional way: I installed POV-Ray on Win2k
> computer, archived the whole directory from "Program Files", archived
> HKLM\Software\POV-Ray and HKCU\\Software\POV-Ray registry keys, and
> unarchived it on my Windows Server 2003 computer. A lot of hassle but I am
> back in business.

As far as I can tell your problem was a bug in WISE. I do the correct checks
with the correct system-dependent path. I have hopefully worked-around this
in v3.51.

> BTW, does anybody know why Wise Installer was used? There are good free open

Because I've been using it for about eight years, and they also donated a copy
of InstallMaster 8.1 to get me back up to date.

> source alternatives. I personally prefer NSIS
> (http://www.nullsoft.com/free/nsis/) --- simple, flexible, fully
> scriptable --- anybody can go and fix installation script.

I'm open to change, if someone wants to write an NSIS version, I'll give them the
existing Wise script (it's more or less readable ascii) as a guide.

-- Chris