POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : cant read ini files : Re: cant read ini files Server Time
8 Jul 2024 17:20:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: cant read ini files
From: Roz
Date: 17 Jul 2003 14:12:09
Message: <3f16e6f9$1@news.povray.org>
Roz wrote:
> fsd### [at] uafedu wrote:
>
>> So here's the deal:  From what I can tell, povray does not know that it
>> has a default library path.  It loads it library path from the command
>> line or from an ini file.  So, simply put, without knowing exactly where
>> the ini file is, povray can't load the Library_Path to know where to
>> look for the ini file.  Yes, the program could be modified to look in
>> the .../share/ini directory for ini files until it successfully loads
>> one, but it doesn't and the change would not be trivial.
>
> So POV-Ray could theoretically know the Library_Path prior to
> looking for ini files specified on the command line. But I
> have the impression that ini files were not meant to be located
> that way and that the Library_Path is meant for scene file
> includes and the like.

Sorry for replying to my own post but I realized after posting
it that a problem with using the Library_Path settings in the
~/.povrayrc file for finding ini files is that that might not
be the end of the picture for Library_Path settings. There may
be more path additions or changes in the ini files specified
on the command line or on the command line itself. It's
probably best to get all the Library_Path settings sorted out
prior to parsing the scene files. Perhaps that's what you meant
all along Karmix. I'll just go back to lurk mode now ;)

-Roz