POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : area_light looks like a point light : Re: area_light looks like a point light Server Time
30 Jul 2024 22:21:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: area_light looks like a point light
From: Hughes, B
Date: 17 Jul 2003 01:07:28
Message: <3f162f10$1@news.povray.org>
"oldmicah" <nomail@nomail> wrote in message
news:web.3f160f69231f8c259cfc34200@news.povray.org...

> Using an array of lights (not area lights) gave me almost exactly what I
> wanted.
> image here: http://homepage.mac.com/sstrange/POV/libraryatnight4.jpg
> light source code:
>   light_source { < currposition, lightcenterheight + 5*wallthickness,
> lightcenterdepth>  color red .05 green .05 blue .05
>  jitter
>  fade_distance 4  fade_power 2
>  }

Might as well remove the keyword 'jitter' since it only works on area_light.

What you could try using instead is spotlight. That way you can attain soft
edges which should blend together and also help to cut down on render time
(maybe). You might need to arrange each of their point_at vectors in such a
way as to be the most efficient and effective. Of course this means there
will ultimately be a directional lighting from the sign's light, if that's
okay.

Bob H.