POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Smooth triangle trouble : Smooth triangle trouble Server Time
4 Aug 2024 04:18:26 EDT (-0400)
  Smooth triangle trouble
From: Luke
Date: 16 Jul 2003 13:45:34
Message: <3f158f3e@news.povray.org>
Hi.

I've got an object made of smooth triangles, and I'm using radiosity and a
sky_sphere for lighting. When I render, there's unnatural-looking, very dark
shadows on some triangles - especially those that are nearly edge-on to the
camera. It looks like I've got the "smooth triangle bug" as described in the
VFAQ, but when I add 'double_illuminate', the shadows remain. The only way
I've found to remove them is ditch smooth_triangles, and go with regular
flat ones.

So, does the double_illuminate fix not work with radiosity, or am I looking
at a different problem altogether? these shadows are too sharp-edged to be
radiosity artefacts.

Yours,
Luke.