POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Eagle layout editor and povray? : Re: Eagle layout editor and povray? Server Time
28 Jun 2024 22:11:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Eagle layout editor and povray?
From: Dr Engelbert Buxbaum
Date: 16 Jul 2003 07:00:42
Message: <3f15305a@news.povray.org>
Jarmo Pesonen wrote:

> After using Eagle3D's ulp program I can create .pov file from the board and
> render the board by using Povray.
> After the board has been  rendered the rendered picture can't be saved in
> format which contains the physical information (.sat, .iges or .dxf for
> example) So the rendered picture doesn't contain
> the physical information? Am I right?

This is probably a special version of the more general question of
3D-graphics format exchange.

I would realy like a bidirectional path between some format where things
can be turned quickly (VRML or so) at design time and Povray to make
(albeit slowly) publication-quality final pictures.

May be one could even get this into some sort of 3D-CAD package.

In essence, all three functions require some sort of mathematical
description of all objects in a drawing/scene only the emphasis is
different. Thus it should be possible to have a common data format,
where only special info needs to be added (say, camera and light
settings for povray), the objects could then be included from some file.

In the end I would imagine a program where objects could be made from
standard parts just like in real life (this screw through that hole),
while watching through VRML (with 3D-goggles?). Wouldn't that be nice?