POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : area_light looks like a point light : Re: area_light looks like a point light Server Time
30 Jul 2024 22:26:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: area_light looks like a point light
From: Tim Nikias v2 0
Date: 16 Jul 2003 03:13:04
Message: <3f14fb00@news.povray.org>
We all do at some point. It's just the problem
of thinking in terms of the algorithms. Specular
is just a "hack" to create highlights, it has nothing
to do with actual lightsources, lightreflection etc.
Arealights are used to soften shadows and one
is easily lead to think that an arealight would
actually cover a certain area.
I think there are some other "side-effects" like that
spread throughout POV-Ray, where one would
like to expect the intuitive result, but get different
ones. It takes time and patience figuring all of them
out.
But eventually, you'll know them all (which isn't
meant to say that I know them all... :-)

Regards,
Tim

--
Tim Nikias v2.0

> Thanks Tim, I'd been banging my head against that one for a while now.
>
> many thanks,
> -Steven
>
> Tim Nikias v2.0 wrote:
> >Area_lights are only used to calculate soft shadows. For
> >specular highlights, it still is a point-light. To achieve
> >what you want, you'd have to use an actual array of light-
> >sources (with toned down RGB, as they will add up
> >later).
> >
> >Regards,
> >Tim

---