POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : cant read ini files : Re: cant read ini files Server Time
8 Jul 2024 17:54:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: cant read ini files
From: Roz
Date: 10 Jul 2003 18:34:06
Message: <3f0de9de$1@news.povray.org>
nelson sandalwood wrote:
> So it doesn't care about the extention, but it demands a full path which I
> have cludged with a link from the current directory to
/usr/local/share/povray-3.5/ini

I think it's clearer to use the filename extentions and the POV-Ray
command line examples in the documentation show the use of extentions.

> Is this right?  Shouldn't it just look in the library path for any .ini
> file, and why does it not need the .ini for a full path?

I finally had the chance to test this out. It looks like POV-Ray
does not search the Library paths for ini files specified on the
command line.

For example, there's a slow.ini in the povray-3.5/ini directory
and a box.pov file in the povray-3.5/scenes/objects directory.
I added the ini and scenes/objects to my Library_Path (using the
actual full pathnames). Now if I run the following command:

povray slow.ini +Ibox.pov

I get the following output:

Persistence of Vision(tm) Ray Tracer Version 3.5 Unix (.Linux.gcc)
   This is an unofficial version compiled by:
   Gentoo Linux - orion.galaxy.com - portage
    The POV-Ray Team(tm) is not responsible for supporting this version.
Copyright 1991-2002 POV-Ray Team(tm)
Possible Command Line Error: Could not open INI file 'slow.ini'.

Parsing Options
   Input file: box.pov (compatible to version 3.5)
   Remove bounds........On  Split unions........Off
   Library paths: /usr/share/povray-3.5/include
     /data/ART/POV-Ray/MyFiles/MyLib /data/ART/POV-Ray/OtherIncludes
     /usr/share/povray-3.5/ini /usr/share/povray-3.5/scenes/objects
Output Options
   Image resolution 320 by 240 (rows 1 to 240, columns 1 to 320).

[snip]

Statistics for /usr/share/povray-3.5/scenes/objects/box.pov, Resolution
320 x 240
Pixels:           76800   Samples:           76800   Smpls/Pxl: 1.00
Rays:             76800   Saved:                 0   Max Level: 1/5

[snip]

So it finds box.pov fine but does not find slow.ini. I've verified
upper/lowercase spelling and even placed a scene file in the ini
directory and POV-Ray had no problem finding it.

The POV-Ray documentation really does *not* state that it will use
the Library paths to search for ini files so maybe the Library paths
were not meant for ini files, just scene files.

I have not been able to come up with a workaround except for
specifying the path to the ini file on the command line. Sorry
I can't help you more than just confirm the behavior you're seeing :(

-Roz