POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Is there a function... : Re: Is there a function... Server Time
30 Jul 2024 22:18:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Is there a function...
From: Tim Nikias v2 0
Date: 9 Jul 2003 10:09:47
Message: <3f0c222b$1@news.povray.org>
1. Nope. Not a simple object.
You could try and construct your object with Christoph Hormanns
isoCSG, and try to blob the edges away a little, I've never done so
and don't have any experience with it, so I'm not even sure if
it'll work. But that's the only idea I can come up with, aside of modelling
with some other program than POV-Ray.

2. Light, shadows and surfaces
Well, for the light & shadows, use area_lights, fade_power, radiosity
and photons, and you've covered pretty much every realistic
effect possible (though nothing that resembles effects occuring with
different wavelengths, like bending around corners and such...).
For the sharpness of the image, look at focal blur, which covers
you're photographic "everything sharp" problem.

For surfaces, well, you've got to learn all tids and bits about finish,
normals and textures, but mostly probably about normals and
finishes, like reflections, brilliance, specular highlighting, fresnel
etc...

--
Tim Nikias v2.0

> 1.  ...that makes simple object "roundedged", so that all is looking more
> realistic?
>
> Be aware, i do NOT mean antialiasing. It's just the fact that nothin in
> reality is as sharp-edged, as the results in povray are, what
theoretically
> is a good thing, because it has to be mathematically exact.
>
> But if i am constructing p.e. an chair or a table, there is an enormous
> effort for rounding the edges making it look like REAL wood, plastic, etc,
> because real materials (except steel) are never as sharp, as they are in
> pov, because they are not hard enough...
> 2.  ...that i can apply to make the light, shadows and surfaces look more
> real?
>
> This is based up on the fact, that all is looking a little bit plastic
like,
> equal if i add some finishes or not. Another thing is the sharpeness in
> every depth, what a normal photo never is.
>
> In other words: are there some very basic steps i can apply to my scene or
> rendered picture that generally realisticalize it a little bit more??

---