POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Fitting a gothic trefoil into an equilateral triangle : Re: Fitting a gothic trefoil into an equilateral triangle Server Time
4 Aug 2024 14:27:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Fitting a gothic trefoil into an equilateral triangle
Date: 25 Jun 2003 17:47:56
Message: <3efa188c@news.povray.org>
Hi Mark,

obviously *I* am dense and you found my 3 errors. The section about
the centers should begin as follows:

[ centers ]
Now look at the midpoint 'Center2' of a circle touching the sides
emanating from Corner2. Due to symmetry of this circle and the triangle
with respect to the line through Corner2 and Center2, the angle between
this line and the x-axis is 30 degrees (60/2). Now imagine a new point:
the mirror image 'M' of Center2 with respect to the x-axis. The triangle
   Corner2 -- Center2 -- M
has 30+30 degrees at Corner2 (x-axis symmetry), its other two angles are
<continues as before>

Sorry for creating this confusion.

> If I make point 'M' a mirror image
> (with respect to the x-axis) of Center1, I end up with an isosceles
> triangle whose longest side is the vertical line Center1 -- M .  This
> leaves me with point 'M' having a y-value which is the negative of

If this "angle at Corner2" is meant to be
   angle ( Center1, Corner2, x-axis mirror image of Center1 )

   M1 = x-axis mirror image of Center1
Because Center1 is inside the triangle Corner1 -- Corner2 -- Corner3,
   angle ( Center1, Corner2, x-axis)
   < angle ( Corner1, Corner2, x-axis)

Now
   "angle at Corner2"
   = 2 * angle ( Center1, Corner2, x-axis) [x-axis symmetry]

case the "longest" side has the same length as the other sides!

Is the rest of my previous post understandable (with the above
corrections)?

   Sputnik

P.S.
Why "INVALID_ADDRESS" at the beginning of your last post?

--

fr### [at] computermuseumfh-kielde