POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : In need of a complete tutorial for beginers : Re: In need of a complete tutorial for beginers Server Time
30 Jul 2024 22:18:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: In need of a complete tutorial for beginers
From: Ross Litscher
Date: 19 Jun 2003 23:01:49
Message: <3ef2791d$1@news.povray.org>
do you have any "programming" experience or basic math? although not a
requirement to use povray, some basic understanding of it might help. Which
isn't meant to scare you off. You don't need any, some of us have gotten by
for years without any ;)

You might be interested in using a modeller such as Moray for Windows if you
are in fact running in windows.

In any case, i recommend starting small. don't use a modeller at first. play
with setting up a camera, lights, then a plane with a simple color. Each of
these 3 steps are documented in the povray help. read up on the coordinate
system so you know where this are going to be when you set up a plane { <0,
1, 0>, 0 }. add a sphere or two and you are well on your way to being an
official povray user ;) (hint: read up on reflection and checker, play with
them in the above scene and post the result to povray.binaries.images to get
your semi-official welcoming)

Then i recommend reading up on textures a little or just using the textures
included with povray. this isn't a complete introduction, but it should get
you rendering and playing. oh, not to mention antialiasing which will make
your images look sharper.

good luck, have fun!