POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : In need of a complete tutorial for beginers : Re: In need of a complete tutorial for beginers Server Time
30 Jul 2024 22:21:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: In need of a complete tutorial for beginers
From: Tim Nikias v2 0
Date: 19 Jun 2003 14:22:43
Message: <3ef1ff73$1@news.povray.org>
I don't know of any "complete" tutorial (if a tutorial
can actually be more than a start is up to you.. :-).

The main thing is that POV-Ray is a script-based
program. You tell it "things" with keywords.

For example, to set up your camera, you use
camera{ ... }
Inside the brackets you put the information which
positions and sets the camera to look at a certain
point. Easiest to begin with is understanding the
concept of 3D-Vectors as POV-Ray uses them:
<x,y,z>, where x is right (negative x is left), y is
up, and finally z is "depth".
So, for a camera to look from a little above and right
onto the origin, that'd be:
<5,5,-10> (which is a setup I mostly begin with).

Same applies to light_sources, which you position
and color:
light_source{<200,400,-400> rgb <1,1,1>}

Notice the rgb. Its specified the next vector to
be a color-vector, where x is red, y is green and z is blue.

Beginning with this concept, you should easily fumble your
way through to your first image. If you're using Windows,
rendering the script is either done by the button undertitled
with "run", or Alt + G (both pressed simultaneously).
Its the difficult first steps we've all been through, so you should
be able to do so as well. :-)

Good luck!

--
Tim Nikias v2.0