POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Problem with 'object' errors? : Re: Problem with 'object' errors? Server Time
31 Jul 2024 06:22:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Problem with 'object' errors?
From: Hughes, B
Date: 16 Jun 2003 03:34:11
Message: <3eed72f3@news.povray.org>
"Jessie K. Blair" <jbl### [at] earthlinknet> wrote in message
> I guess that never occurred to me, possibly since I have experience with
web
> development and some application development as well.
> Normally when using objects I just put them all at the end of the file in
> long list of OBJECT statements. This is my first attempt at making a
macro,
> and I didn't realize that the multiple objects within the macro were
trying
> to be processed as a single object within the final object statement at
the
> end of the file.

Perfectly understandable. What it *does* allow for is to apply texture
(pigment, etc.) and/or use transformations, whatever else legal, so that any
premade object can always be reobjected (sorry, only way I could sum that up
in a word)and those things done to it.

#declare Sphere=
object {
    sphere {0,1}
}

#declare GreenSphere=
object {
    Sphere
    pigment { green 1 }
}

#declare MovedGreenSphere=
object {
    GreenSphere
    translate y
}

And that could go on and on. Probably best described as a container for
using object modifiers (per all other rules of how POV-Ray works) but only a
part of CSG if 'inverse' is used in it, or identifier needing a wrapper. Or
at least I think I can say that and not be wrong.  :-)

Bob H.