POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Offloading some calculations to a GPU : Re: Offloading some calculations to a GPU Server Time
4 Aug 2024 14:25:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Offloading some calculations to a GPU
From: Ben Chambers
Date: 14 Jun 2003 16:45:19
Message: <3eeb895f@news.povray.org>
"Ray Gardener" <ray### [at] daylongraphicscom> wrote in message
> > You need double precision floating-point processing.  Sorry!
> >
> >     Thorsten
>

> What if... we limited the scene extents (in a seperate
> version of POV-Ray, of course) to some small volume
> like 1024 cubic units where single-precision floats
> would be more viable? One could only render small scenes
> or single objects, but when developing single objects
> (like people or cars), that's acceptable.

You seem to think the size of the scene matters.  This is the reason we use
*floating* point - the actual size doesn't matter, just the difference
between the largest and smallest objects.

Ie, two spheres that are 10,000,000 units across will render just as
accurately as two spheres that are 1 unit across.  However, if you put a
third sphere that's one unit across between the two spheres, then you'll
need the extra precision.

...Chambers