POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : animations on linux/unix : Re: animations on linux/unix Server Time
8 Jul 2024 17:30:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: animations on linux/unix
From: Sebastian H
Date: 6 Jun 2003 14:41:19
Message: <3ee0e04f@news.povray.org>
Micha Riser wrote:
> Bill Hails wrote:
>

>>Hi
>>Do any of you use linux for pov animations?
>>if so, what do you use to stitch together the frames into
>>a movie?
>>

> When I used to do animations with pov I used "mpeg_encode" to encode the ppm
> pictures into a movie. "mencoder" that comes with "mplayer" can also encode
> from png, tga, jpeg to various movie formats. I guess "transcode" will be
> able to do the job as well (I'm not very familar with that though).
>
> So, now you've plenty of choice :)
>
> - Micha

Most times I used mencoder but transcode gives you more freedom to play
around (this must not be a benefit ;-) )

For transcode you can do it this way:

1.) Create a list with all images
ls -1 *.png > list.lst
(or ls -1 *.jpg > list.lst)

2.) Let transcode convert them to a video (mpeg in this case)
transcode -i list.lst -x imlist,null -g 800x600 -y mpeg,null -f 15 -w
1500 -o video.mpeg -H 0

-f sets the framerate
-w sets the bitrate
-x is the Inputmodule (Video,Audio)
-y is the Outputmodule (Video,Audio)

For multipass rendering (divx,xvid) one must use
the -R 1 or -R 2 option.

Sebastian