POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Scanline rendering in POV-Ray : Re: The Meaning of POV-Ray Server Time
4 Aug 2024 18:16:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The Meaning of POV-Ray
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 5 Jun 2003 19:04:05
Message: <3edfcc65@news.povray.org>

3edf9d90$1@news.povray.org...

>The question I'm perhaps asking is, has the time come for an open
source/free
>hybrid renderer? And if so, what's the most sensible route to it?

You could also consider adding raytracing to open source scanline renderers
such as Blender and OpenFX, which are after all already more suited to
animation (and particularly character animation) than POV-Ray since both
come with a native GUI modeller.

> It's a good idea, and I'd love to, but I'm afraid I don't have the time.

Well, what's the hurry ? We're talking raytracing after all, time is not an
issue ;)
Take 3-4 months off, play with the features, try to make nice pictures, show
them here. I certainly trust your competence as far as software development
per se is concerned, but I think that the objectives for such an ambitious
project will be much better defined if you get a first-hand knowledge of
what it is to work and develop real scenes with POV-Ray. Only then you'll
fully understand what the software can/cannot do, not from a theoretical
point of view but from a practical one.
There are lots of YARs (Yet Another Renderer) and YAMs (Yet Another
Modeller) out there and I wish the developers had taken the time to
understand what people needed before wasting their own time (and the time of
their users)...

G.

--
http://www.oyonale.com