POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Povray Linux installation in Mandrake 9 : Re: Povray Linux installation in Mandrake 9 Server Time
8 Jul 2024 17:53:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Povray Linux installation in Mandrake 9
From: Bill Hails
Date: 5 Jun 2003 16:41:38
Message: <3edfab02@news.povray.org>
Andreas Kreisig wrote:

> Loop wrote:
>

>> Dear Chris,
>>
>> All i have done is unzipped the folder which contained Povray, I then
>> attempted to click on the Povray icon but nothing happended so I tried
>> the Install icon.
>
> You unzipped the folder and try to click on the POV-Ray icon? How about
> that: open an xterm, change the active directory to the directory where
> your POV files resides, become root (type "su" and enter the root
> password) and to install this stuff, just type "./install". Don't try to
> install POV by clicking on an icon in KDE or whatever you use. This should
> be work.
>
> Regards,
> Andreas

If as Loop says it's the first thing he's tried to install, he may hit the
same problem I did when I installed povray with the install script, that
is that the install script assumes /usr/local/etc already exists.

so as a prelude to your instructions he should, after becoming root but
before running ./install do:

        test -f /usr/local/etc && rm /usr/local/etc
        test -d /usr/local/etc || mkdir /usr/local/etc

the first command fixes the problem if ./install has already been run
and created a *file* called /usr/local/etc

--
Bill Hails