POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : greek letters under linux? : Re: greek letters under linux? Server Time
4 Aug 2024 10:16:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: greek letters under linux?
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 5 Jun 2003 09:50:11
Message: <3edf4a93$1@news.povray.org>
In article <3ede714c$1@news.povray.org> , "Victor M. Rosas-Garcia"
<qui### [at] yahoocom> wrote:

> in my *.pov file but, I am confused, am I supposed to save the entire
> *.pov file encoded in utf8?

Yes, you cannot create UTF-8 files any other way.  One property of UTF-8 is
that is leaves the ASCII character range untouched, so the charset only
matter for strings in any case, as non ASCII characters are not allowed
anywhere else anyway.

>  or should I only use the string function
> chr() with the appropriate utf-8 value for the character I need? Also, I
> have no ideat about the font name I should use in the text object.

You can always use the chr() function to create sequence of characters
regardless of the charset that you set.  It takes characters in the range
specified by the Unicode standard as UCS-2 (UCS-4 ranges are not supported).
Alternatively, simply use the \uxxxx options, where xxxx is the hexadecimal
value of the unicode character.  That way it is more convenient to generate
longer strings of Unicode characters in an ASCII text editor by hand.

Of course, it is indeed most convenient to the an UTF-8 capable editor and
set charset to utf8.  That way you do not need to mess with chr() or \u.

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde