POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : animations on linux/unix : Re: animations on linux/unix Server Time
8 Jul 2024 18:09:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: animations on linux/unix
From: Victor M  Rosas-Garcia
Date: 5 Jun 2003 09:24:33
Message: <3edf4491$1@news.povray.org>
Bill Hails wrote:
> Hi
> Do any of you use linux for pov animations?
> if so, what do you use to stitch together the frames into
> a movie?
>
> I've found imagemagik's "convert" which can make animated gifs,
> I was wondering if there was anything that will make mpegs.

I use ppmtompeg, a tool from the netpbm set, just set the output file
type in POV-Ray to ppm and run through ppmtompeg.  The only trick is to
produce the *par file that tells ppmtompeg a bunch of parameters for
proper encoding.  I play the resulting mpegs with plaympeg.  For some
reason that escapes me, xine does not play the full mpeg, mplayer does
not seem to have problems, though.  To make animated gifs I use ppmtogif
  and then gifsicle.  I usually have to reduce the number of colors
because gifs can only handle 256 colors, and my raytraced images have at
least several thousand colors.

So, in my povray.ini file I have to set up Output_Type=P, then produce
the frames and run them through ppmtompeg.
If I want animated gifs, I run my ppm files through ppmtogif and make
the animation with gifsicle.

I have a shell script that does all those operations for me, and I could
send you the parameter file for ppmtompeg, if you are interested.

Have a nice day

Victor