POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Scanline rendering in POV-Ray : Benchmarking Server Time
4 Aug 2024 20:20:12 EDT (-0400)
  Benchmarking
From: Ray Gardener
Date: 4 Jun 2003 18:35:06
Message: <3ede741a@news.povray.org>
> Ah, look, one billion triangles rendered in 43 hours* for 1080 Kpixels.
> Scaling your previously reported result of 16.8 million triangles drawn in
> 12 minutes as 275 Kpixels, your scanline method would take over 47 hours.
> And their scene render time includes global illumination and shadows.

That scene I submitted did generate a lot of
geometry that was ultimately occluded by nearer geometry.
Here is another scene,
http://www.daylongraphics.com/products/leveller/render/testimg_001.jpg

which took 67 seconds.

When rendering, after a few seconds, the image looks like this:
http://www.daylongraphics.com/products/leveller/render/testimg_004.jpg

Sometimes it's nice to scanline to see the object draw
that way, instead of having the render window draw
line by line (or mosaic into smaller and smaller squares).

Has anyone implemented displacment shading in POV-Ray
using that algorithm? If not, I'd volunteer.

Ray