POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Scanline rendering in POV-Ray : Re: The Meaning of POV-Ray Server Time
5 Aug 2024 00:26:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The Meaning of POV-Ray
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 4 Jun 2003 04:27:41
Message: <3eddad7d@news.povray.org>

3edd7bbf$1@news.povray.org...
> What are POV's goals, actually?

The real question is, is there presently another free graphic application
that does what POV-Ray accomplishes already, with the same level of
popularity and user support? And how many apps have we seen that started up
with a bang only to die in silence few years later? POV-Ray's development
model is certainly bizarre in some ways, but, with all its shortcomings, it
has been working for more than 10 years now.
If you really want a "goal" in POV-Ray, it is to be what its users want it
to be. It's self-evolving. I'm not really sure that stating an ambitious
goal, while laudable and a normal procedure for commercial software where
one has to convince financial backers, is the way to go: it's a little like
putting the cart before the horse in that case.
In these forums, we seen a lot of very well-minded, talented people offer
help of this sort, but in the end it all comes down to this: do users really
care? Do I want to see POV-Ray used in commercial movies? No interest. A
fast preview? Some interest, but the one I have is fast enough already so it
has a rather low priority. But do I want better, faster, artefact-free
global illumination and volumetrics? Programmable shaders? Full HDRI
support? A usable atmospheric (clouds and sky) model? You bet!

G.

http://www.oyonale.com
- Graphic experiments
- POV-Ray and Poser computer images