POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Scanline rendering in POV-Ray : Re: Scanline rendering in POV-Ray Server Time
4 Aug 2024 18:16:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Scanline rendering in POV-Ray
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 2 Jun 2003 15:31:34
Message: <3edba616@news.povray.org>
In article <3edb8f1d@news.povray.org> , "Ray Gardener"
<ray### [at] daylongraphicscom> wrote:

> By Mr. Froehlich's own admission, raytracing speed doesn't compete with
> scanlining until you have billions of objects, so there's definitely room for
> exploration under that limit.

That is not what I said!  We were talking about video game realtime usage
using triangles.  And some fuzzy argument about the film industry that you
mentioned.

You wrote:
>> Even with all secondary raycasting disabled, a raytracer cannot outperform or
>> match a scanline algorithm. If it could, raytracing would be used in video
>> games. And the fact is, again, raytracing has not displaced scanline/REYES as
>> the preferred CG rendering method in motion pictures. To quote Dr. Gritz,BMRT
>> assisted in only 16 scenes in the movie A Bug's Life. I don't know what facts
>> you are in possession of, but they certainly can't include the film industry
>> falling all over themselves to use raytracing.
And I replied:
> Few people have scene of the complexity to make ray tracing worthwhile.
> Give me a billion (1000 million) triangles in a million objects, and ray
> tracing will beat whatever scanline hardware you throw at the problem on an
> average workstation.  Of course, ray tracing isn't limited to triangles...

As you notice, I am very explicitly talking about a scene with triangles!
Not "objects", and there is a ***very*** big difference between objects and
triangles.

And apart from that, what good is shooting primary rays only?  Not useful
for anything but previews.  And it looks like a preview you already have...

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde